Light Wave

World

US Intelligence Says Iran Is Reconstituting Faster Than Expected — During the Ceasefire

By Mike Harper · May 21, 2026

President Donald Trump, joined by Secretary of War Pete Hegseth, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, and Secretary of the Navy John Phelan, announces plans for a “Golden Fleet” of new U.S. Navy battleships, Monday, December 22, 2025, at the Mar-a-Lago Club in Palm Beach, Florida.  (Official White House Photo by Daniel Torok)

The six-week ceasefire that began April 8 was framed by the Trump administration as a diplomatic breakthrough — a pause in hostilities that created space for negotiations and demonstrated American leverage over Iran. US intelligence is now telling a different story about what the pause has actually produced.

Four sources familiar with recent US intelligence assessments told CNN that Iran’s military is reconstituting much faster than initially estimated — and that the ceasefire itself is a primary reason why. Iran has already restarted some of its drone production. It has used the pause to dig out missile launchers that were buried — but not destroyed — by US and Israeli strikes. And US intelligence has revised its estimate of how many Iranian missile launchers survived: the figure has climbed from roughly half, which was the assessment in April, to approximately two-thirds.

“The damage caused to Iran’s military industrial base has set the country’s ability to rebuild its combat infrastructure back months, not years.”

That assessment, from a source familiar with the intelligence, contains a number that changes the strategic picture significantly. When the war began in late February, US and Israeli strikes were described by administration officials as having achieved historic degradation of Iran’s military capacity. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth used the word “obliterated” repeatedly. The intelligence now circulating inside the government says the setback is measured in months — not the years that would be required to genuinely eliminate Iran as a regional military threat.

One US official told CNN that Iran could fully reconstitute its drone attack capability “in as soon as six months” — and added something more striking: the Iranians “have exceeded all timelines the US expected.”

The detail that makes this a structural problem rather than just a tactical revision is the mechanism. The ceasefire did not freeze Iran’s rebuilding. It accelerated it. During active bombing, Iranian engineers cannot safely excavate buried launcher sites or move equipment between facilities. The moment the bombs stopped, that constraint was lifted. Six weeks of ceasefire is six weeks of reconstruction. Every day the bombing does not resume is a day Iran gets closer to the military capacity it had before February 28.

The revelation also creates a direct conflict between what CENTCOM commander Admiral Brad Cooper told Congress and what the intelligence community believes. Cooper testified before the House Armed Services Committee on Tuesday that Iran’s military capabilities had been largely eliminated. Two sources told CNN that testimony was “inconsistent” with current US intelligence assessments. A four-star admiral told Congress one thing. The analysts reading satellite imagery are telling their superiors something else.

The Pentagon’s response to CNN’s reporting was formulaic.

“America’s military is the most powerful in the world and has everything it needs to execute at the time and place of the President’s choosing.”

Chief Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell added that “we have executed multiple successful operations across combatant commands while ensuring the US military possesses a deep arsenal of capabilities to protect our people and our interests.” The statement did not address whether Iran’s military reconstitution had exceeded US expectations or whether intelligence assessments of surviving launcher capacity had been revised upward.

The practical stakes of this intelligence revision depend entirely on what happens next in negotiations. If a deal is reached and the blockade ends, Iran’s rebuilding timeline becomes relevant only to long-term deterrence planning — the same planning that has governed the US-Iran relationship for 40 years. But if negotiations collapse and Trump restarts the bombing campaign, the US military would be hitting a target that is no longer as degraded as it was when strikes last landed. The targets that survived would have had six weeks of uninterrupted reconstruction time. And the drones — the weapon Iran has used most consistently and most cheaply to project force across the region — are already back in production.